[LRflex] Someone mention the Nikon 70 -200 f/2.8?

  • From: Edward Caliguri <ejcaliguri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:21:29 -0500

Hi Walter, all -

I have been using the Nikon 70 - 200 ED f/2.8 G VR for quite a while now. Nikon is my 'chosen system' when I want or need a speedy digital AF system - and I used this lens when I owned a D1X, then D2X (each a 1.5x crop factor) and it was marvelous. Great contrast sharpness and smooth bokeh wide open, this setup was perfect for team sports - especially ice hockey, basketball, soccer etc., and VR works well. Now here's the however: since going to a FF sensor (or FX format as Nikon calls it) in a D3 and D700, I've found the lens vignettes quite heavily, especially when used at f/2.8 and 200mm. A bit of 'asking around' and web searches confirmed there was indeed an FX 'problem' with this optic. Nikon has just released a redesigned version (VR II) that I plan to pick up this weekend. If this problem is corrected - this is the reason for the redesign - and all else is equal to the previous design, I'll be very happy. That said - I still do not think the D3 and 70 - 200 VR II package will best the DMR and 70 -180 f/2.8 APO R (a combo that is heavier and slower to work with). It might then be interesting to compare the two at ISOs not over 400, and see what's up!

Ed