[LRflex] Re: Rodeo Injuries...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:09:46 -0700

Steve Barbour wrote:

On May 23, 2008, at 8:18 AM, David Young wrote:

G'Mornin' again, Steve!

You asked about injuries (and worse)...

Here's how it happens ...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Ride5.htm

This chap was lucky, the descending bull missed  him by less than
15cm (6 inches).

a wonderful image David...

Thanks, Steve!

Rodeo work is possible (I've done it, many a time) with a manual focus Leica, but it's SO much easier, with a good AF system, such as in the Oly E3 - used in all of these shots. It allows you to concentrate on the riders, events and composition. It's true that the AF systems are not perfect and occasionally an otherwise great shot will be a throw-away because the focus is on the wrong spot, but overall the percentage of "keepers" is tremendously improved.

so rare to see the cowboys wearing helmets...is this a trend?

Next month, I will photograph our local "Little Britches" Rodeo ... a rodeo for kids under 14 who either want to be rodeo stars when their older, or simply want to have some fun. When I post those shots, you will see that the kids all wear helmets ... it's required. And now, some of the younger contestants on the Pro circuit are wearing them. Still, it's not common.

What has made a huge difference is the padded vests. Again, this was started, years ago, on the Little Britches circuit, and they are now virtually universal for bronc, saddle bronc and bull riders. But for most riders, the traditional cowboy hat is still the preferred headgear....

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Ride6.htm

so incredibly dangerous....

True..... of course, pulling the bulls tail, on your way down, doesn't help the situation very much!

do the the bulls try to land on the rider, or try to miss him, or is it just up to luck alone?

With most bulls, it just luck as to whether you get hit or not. But some bulls will turn, deliberately, to attack a downed rider. You can see - in Ride6 - that the bull has his eye on the rider, so he'll know where to turn, next. This bull was a bad one, but the clown managed to draw him away...

Not sure I'd want to be the "substitute target"!!!

You're in Rodeo country, Steve... you should find one, nearby, and try it. Great opportunities for fantastic shots! You'll usually need something in the 80~200 range ... maybe a 1.4x or 2x converter, as well. Because the animals move around so much, a zoom is far superior to a fixed focal length lens. Oh ... and pick a sunny day ... it's a drag shooting in the rain! Besides, without the rain you get lots of dust, which only seems to enhance the "action" value of the photos.