[LRflex] Re: R lenses

  • From: "Dave Olson" <dave_olson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:04:05 +0100

Hi, if you have deep pockets don't read any further. IF however your pockets
are normal or shallow ( don't be embarrassed) I'll tell you what I did because
mine are. First I started looking for preowned bodies. If the body(ies) are in
bad or rough shape it will cost to set them straight. I was fortunate in
locating a couple of R6.2s and a late R7. These I sent to one of the most
widely regarded Leica technicians in the States. All three only required a
little basic CLA. So while that was going on I started hunting for some glass.
I wanted a focal length that that my 'Ms' can't give. I shoot my M75 f 1.4 as
my longest. I found an a beautiful R zoom, the 110-280 f 4.2. Putts has nice
things to say about it. I then wanted an 'R' to bridge the gap between my M 75
and ? I found a very nice R90 f 2, to those I added an R 180 f 4. So between my
'Ms' and 'Rs' I had it covered from  M 28 f2 asph to the R 110-280 f 4.2. There
was only one thing lacking for the 'R' system. Intermediate focal coverage. I
found a Nearly New R 35-70 f 4 with a respectable close focusing. I was
pleasantly surprised in reading some columns by E. Putts that he had very high
regard for the R110-280 f 4.2, the R 90 f 2 and the R 35-70 f 4. So you don't
have to break the bank, unless you own it.