[LRflex] PT-lens

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:25:43 -0800

All:

Most of you have heard me gripe about the Canon 17~85mm USM/IS zoom that
I bought with my 20D.   It's sharp enough, and contrast is OK (though
certainly not to Leica standards), and it filled some FL voids in my
kit, when using the 20D with it's 1.6 angle of view factor. However, at
the w/a end, barrel distortion is absolutely unnaceptable.

At Douglas Sharp's suggestion, I have just downloaded PT-LENS.   It's
free, and it seems very good.  No installer provided (what can you
expect for free?) so you have to unzip 3 files and copy them to various
locations.  (Warning! I hit a wrong key the first time running it, and
inadvertently set the language to Czech... which didn't help me at all!
However, even that sort of problem is not difficult to fix.)

The program is quite intuitive, quick and easy to use.  At the 17mm end
of the 17~85mm USM IS Canon lens, the correction is not total, but very
close.

For those who are interested, I have posted a photographically lousy but
well distorted shot of some renos I was doing, along with the corrected
version, side by side.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/distortion.htm

Comments?

Logan Lake, BC