[LRflex] My father-in-law's new "lens"

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:52:52 -0800

My father-in-law has been asking about extending his lens range by getting a zoom that goes up to 500mm. His range ends at 200mm now. He is 86 years old and lugs around his Nikon D300 , tripod and two or three lenses when we go on trails in Yosemite, Arches, and all sorts of places. It is a bit heavy for him, but he won't let anyone help him. I think he is afraid I will steal it.

anyway, I sent him some information on a few brands of lenses in the range he was looking at, along with the weight of them. 3-4 pounds. Then I came across the Sigma 200-500 f-2.8 APO EX DG Ultra Telephoto and sent him this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-200-500-Ultra-Telephoto-Nikon-Cameras/dp/B0013DAPNU

Note the weight (35 lbs) and cost (29K). I did not hear from him for a few days, then he sent me this photo of is NEW LENS.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/Telephoto+Take+2-9.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/y9ey96a

I did not know, even after 35 years of marriage to his daughter, that he had this sense of humor. He said it was much cheaper to build his own than buy the one I sent him.

Doug, could you use one like this?  I am sure he would build you one, too.

Aram