[LRflex] Live View on the R10

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:58:54 +0800

Hello David,
I don't think getting a comparatively noise free live view is as
simple as a firm ware upgrade. According to my source (an engineer at
Sony) the reason that Live View is only recently showing up in APS
(and larger) CCDs (as opposed to point and shoot CCDs) is that the
larger CCD's need top be redesigned to run "cool" . The problem is
that larger CCDs (or CMOSs) if left on continuously tend to warm up
and as they get hotter they start to generate more noise resulting in
a lower quality picture from Live View. Sony had to redesign their
chip for use in the R1, which was the first larger CCD live view
camera, to be a cooler and thus lower noise chip. If what I have been
told is true and should Leica decide that they want to incorporate
Live View in the R10 they need to choose a chip which will run cool
when continuously on or at least produce a low(er) noise image when
warmed up. Hopefully this will have been taken into consideration in
the design but after the M8 magenta issue I am not too sure! ;-(
Cheers
Howard
(very hot in Hong Kong)