[LRflex] Leica to abandon 4/3rds?

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:19:07 -0700

For some weeks now, I have been hearing rumours that Leica will abandon the 4/3rds format for their dSLRs. This does not make sense to me, as the Digilux cameras are made by Panasonic, and they are firmly in the 4/3rds camp, being closely aligned with Olympus.

I think this rumour comes from the fact that the coming R10 will not be 4/3rds, but then nobody ever thought it would be. The only question is whether the R10 will be a full frame, or a 1.33 crop factor, like the M8.

There is a new interview with Andreas Kaufmann, which seems to confirm what we already suspect - that the R10 will have AF lenses, and that it will not be 4/3rds format. As for the rest, well, read it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions...

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5316/the-future-of-leica.html