[LRflex] IMG: Short-eared Owl

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LeicaReflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 09:34:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I recently visited Plumas County California where several Short-eared Owls had
been reported.  I ditched work on Friday (with boss's permission) and left
early on Thursday to catch the owls in evening light:

The owls were perched on roadside fence posts when I arrived.  Traffic on the
road was very light, perhaps one vehicle every half hour, so I stopped the
truck in the wrong-way lane and made some photos out the driver's side window.
The locals are used to this sort of thing, even the highway patrol passed by
without a word.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl01.html

Owls need a warmup before a night of hunting:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl02.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl03.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl04.html

Once the sun dips below the horizon the hunt is on:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl05.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl06.html

I caught up with the owl the following morning is the fog:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl07.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl08.html

Once the fog burned off the owl dropped to the cover of a weedy roadside ditch.
 The message I got here was "hey, napping going on here, enough with the
clicking!"

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/seowl09.html

All photos: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO.  Most with 1.4x APO-Extender-R, shoulder
stock & monopod.  Last photo without extender, with tripod.  All comments
welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com