[LRflex] Re: Focal plane shutter distortion

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 00:14:00 -0500

>-----------------------------
>
>From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [LRflex] Re: Focal plane shutter distortions
>Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:26:01 -0800
>
>Leica has / had a horizontally traveling shutter curtain... The Zeiss Contax
>had a vertically moving shutter curtain.
>
>The distortion is very different.....
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>I believe the picture was taken with a Leica or Contax, but
>I'm not 100-percent sure.

Frank,
The picture that I'm thinking I may have seen in an old Popular
Photography or Modern Photography article, or maybe even in one of the
hundreds of photography books cluttering up my home. If I find the
picture, I will scan a jpeg of it and post a link. I recall the
distortion as being manifested by a propeller that looked bent backwards
like a sickle. Whether that would be caused by a vertical or horizontal
travelling FP shutter, I have no idea.

Jeff Gluck