[LRflex] Re: First rhododendron of the season taken with 3 lenses

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:41:51 -0800

Eric showed:

Apo-Telyt 180/3.4:
http://tinyurl.com/yagwbjp

Angenieux 70X3:
http://tinyurl.com/y9g7zm9

Canon EF USM 70-300:
http://tinyurl.com/y8ro5ls

Hi Eric!

Your three photos are fascinating!

I wonder if the bokeh of the 180/3.4 APO is a bit poorer than I'd expect from a Leitz/Leica lens, because that particular lens was optimized for infinity focus. Certainly, the Angenieux shows a gorgeous, creamy bokeh, with the Telyt coming in a close second.

I know that bokeh will differ with each lens design, regardless of maker, but somehow the bokeh of the Canon zoom is what I would have expected, given my non-scientific comparisons with other Canon glass.

Thanks for taking the time to make this comparison! I, for one, found it very interesting.

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net