[LRflex] Re: Elks moose and third cams...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:59:38 -0700

Keith Longmore wrote:

Ah, the confusion that language makes, eh? We call moose either elk or moose; the Swedes just call them elks (aelk). (And they sell sweets that they call aelk-sh1t...look like it, too!) I'd forgotten that caribou = reindeer. We have red deer - some here in Norfolk. They're a menace on the roads too! I was on my way to work one early morning, when about 6 of them decided to cross the road. The last one saw me, and stopped to have a good look, oblivious to the squeal of tyres and my look of horror as I hurtled towards it with locked wheels!!! It quietly trotted off just in time...

I didn't realise that elks' / mooses' eyes don't reflect. Unusual, that, isn't it? I understand that they are very susceptible to a disease that is carried by other deer, and it's always fatal. For such a large animal, quite surprising.

BTW, in Sweden they say beware the female moose/elk, especially if they have a calf. Their kick is lethal! And, since they run at 35 mph, you can't get away on foot. If you're a canoeist, you have to be careful on the lakes there too, because the elks dive to the lake bed for something to eat, and can overturn a canoe easily when they surface - and they can swim faster than two men can paddle a canoe.

I think the elk photo looks much better with the crop.

Thanks, Keith.  I like the 4:5 ratio crop better, too.

All the points you make about Elk/Wapiti are true. However, you missed one point. They are also delicious! We had friends in, for dinner, last evening and dined on a fine red wine and BBQ'd Elk steaks. Absolutely superb!