[LRflex] Re: Dodos and Korea

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 06:39:08 -0800

At 12/9/2009, you wrote:
Dear David, I enjoyed your picture. Hard to have the white balance correct but you did it. Best of all the photo does not look manipulated and it is well composed. Which lens and camera did you use? Of course I am in Tak Won Do Heaven here in Korea. After school kids are always seen going to or returning from martial arts HogWons (Private Teaching Institutions). This is an excellent way to learn discipline, strengthen your body and of course learn how to build up confidence and defend yourself.

I have not been active on the list often but soon hope to be more involved. Now that I am obtaining a SL2 from which I hope to put some of the photos on the list as Korea is a country of such beauty. I am active in the Leica Club here. We have around 15000 members of which 100 are really active. My Korean is not good enough for total involvement and my position as a professor in the MIT of Korea (KAIST) keeps me very busy. Again thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming, I can say for myself it is one reason I enjoy this list. Cheers, George

Good Mornin', George!

Good to "hear your voice"!

Glad you enjoyed the photo of our grand-daughter, Becca.

You are right, the white balance was "a bear" to do. I ended up using AWB, as none of the pre-set values worked. I then corrected as best possible in Silkypix II (I may have to upgrade to Silkypix IV) and then made final corrections in GIMP - a program I not only prefer to PS, in terms of results, but which is free for both windows & mac uses!

I get to watch the Tae Kwon Dodos about twice a year. Always interesting to watch, but difficult to photograph. Low light levels, and the most amazing assortment of sources are a photog's nightmare. It's one of the few places where digital really has an advantage, as film is much, much harder to adjust, when making prints.

I used, btw, the Olympus E3 with their 50~200mm f2.8-3.5. Settings were 130mm @ f3.5 and 1/30th @ ISO 1250.

Congratulations on your new SL2! A really nice camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :-)

I'm already looking forward to seeing images of your beautiful Korea!

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net