[LRflex] Re: Bear Facts...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:23:25 -0700

Joachim wrote:
Excellent!! Have you tried saying"Cheese" and maybe putting some honey in the tree?

No need... crab-apples seem to be enough... we had three more bear "visitations", last night.

Dr. Ted offered:
OK David tell the truth this is the bear you captured last year and have trained it to sit in the tree for your picture taking! :-)
Hey nice pictures.

Thanks, Dr. Ted! And, no, these are not "trained bears"... Though mostly benign, they can be a real hazard to people who get too close. As for your deer, well, we have enough already, thanks. :-)

Andy Wagner said:

David excellent shots esp the second one. The best I could do was the south end of a north bound one and he was across the river from me. I'll have to try crab apple trees ;-)

Thanks, Andy!   And do try crab-apples, but be warned - the season is short!

Charlie Falke exclaimed:
   Holy Cow!  I mean Bear!
Great shot, thanks for risking your person to photograph
an unaccompanied cub without knowing where mom is.

Thanks, Charlie! The risk was relatively low ... as this was a yearling, and probably on his own by now, as Moma likely has a new set of cubs. However, one can never be sure, so I kept an "eagle eye" on the neighbourhood - especially behind me!

I also kept a good watch on the bear itself, as I was within 10 meters (30 feet) and they can run up to 30 miles per hour, for short bursts. More than I can do, even with fear on my side!

Philippe said:
So cute, as seen from a distance ... Nice catches David.

Thanks. It was a lot of fun, and a nice break from preparing presentations in front of the 'puter!

While Marc commented:
Interesting neighborhood you have :-)

We like it!  :-)

Sems a little clumsy, but sure you had a good time watching it !

Clumsy, you say... are you talking about me or the bear??? ;-)

Many thanks, also, to those who commented off-list.

---
David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net