[LRflex] A sad story...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:17:10 -0700

Wednesday, Rose and I were driving home from Alberta, where her kids had staged
a surprise birthday party for her.  (It was a good party!)

Just south of Valemont, BC, as we passed an empty parking lot used as a staging
area for snowmobiles in winter, Rose spotted something in the bush, and asked
me to turn around and go back.

When I did, we discovered that what she'd seen was a cinnamon coloured, black
bear, just resting on a grassy spot.  This, in itself, was rare, for bears
usually prefer to be in the bush, away from people.

The light was poor, as the day was overcast and the sun already behind the
mountains.  I used Oly's 50~200 w/1.4x converter, at ISO 640, and took a few
shots.

Then, when she didn't move, I got back in the car and slowly moved up to her,
intending to shoot from the window.  To my surprise, she did not move, and it
quickly became apparent that she was very sick, and not likely to live long.
She was panting like a dog and, in fall - when her body should be full of fat,
in preparation for a long sleep, she was showing her ribs.

As I came more and more to realize her condition, I found it harder and harder
to actually take photos; and after a short while, I simply stopped.

We had started to look at the various signs in the lot, looking for a phone
number, so we could report her to the conservation officers, when an RCMP
officer arrived, to warn us there was a bear in the parking lot!

And so we left, knowing that the CO's would soon be there, and put the old girl
out of her misery.

What is probably the last image of this old gal, is here:

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Cinnamon.html

Thanks for reading.

David.