[LRFlex] Re: A question of ethics...

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:40:12 -0800

At 1/11/2005, you wrote:

David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I recently posted my shot of a Male Grosbeak, asking for comments and
> criticism.... I experimented and removed the "pesky background
> branches" using photoshop's clone and heal tools. I think the shot looks a
> lot better.

> My question to you is: Is this ethical?

It depends on what you intend to do with the photo. IMHO removing that much from the background alters the sense of habitat, from a brushy/open forest habitat to an open field with sparse brush. It's possible that this puts the grosbeak out of its chosen habitat. Since I prefer to show the bird in its habitat I wouldn't make this change. Ideally I'd recognize the problem of the branch running through the bird before making the exposure, and change my position to move the branch. The branch probably wouldn't be out of the picture, just not running through the bird's body.

Doug:

I agree... the only problem is that the little buggers move so fast that it's difficult enough (at least, for me!) to get the shot, let along mind where they're sitting! I'll try to do better, next time. ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :-)

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm