[LRflex] Re: A drive to Big Sur for lunch at Nepenthe

  • From: Bill Abbott <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:17:03 -0800

Richard,

Thanks, I have no way of seeing what you are seeing but I can tell you that the
indistinctness of the horizon may be what you call "mushyness" and it is indeed
indistinct, as maritime horizons often are. Crisp "clarity" and definition such
as we see on macro photos of flowers or mountain scenes is often simply not
there on the ocean.

From my days at sea I can tell you that there are days when through the
phenomenon called ducting you can see things that are actually even a bit below
the horizon and crystal clear.

Other times, in trying to take a star sight with a sextant for instance, the
horizon is so unclear as to make the measurement worthless, i.e., you are
unable to read the altitude (measured in degrees) of the star above the
horizon, nor can you visually see ships known to be there by radar, they are
lost in the haze.

If you mean the hazy look of the coastal headland in the distance, that is in
the image and typical of our marine air along the coast.

On the day the photo was made the ocean's atmospherics were very hazy. If I am
not understanding what you asked, please let me know.

Best,

Bill