[LRflex] 80-200 f/4 :-)

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:22:28 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who recommended this lens.  I just got my first roll (Kodak
400UC) back from the lab; I can't show any pics yet 'cuz my web hosting service
is down and besides the Frontier scans are nowhere near what I can get from the
Polaroid.

Here's what I like:

solid construction
compact enough (w/ R4) to use as a go-everywhere camera
It's well-balanced, especially with the STA-1 tripod collar
no focus creep, no zoom creep.
Parallel focussing mechanism so polarizing filters don't rotate as I focus
mimimal linear distortion
so far, no flare or bokeh problems

Critical examination of the negs will have to wait until I can scan some.

What I don't like:  I didn't have it 20 years ago.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com