[LRFlex] 20D lost image recovery

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:46:25 +0100

Hello to the 20D users,
about once a week I get around to checking out what kinds of freeware are on offer. Today I discovered something which may come in useful on those days when we have our brains turned off.

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

It's a German product available in a whole selection of languages and with a clear and intuitive layout,whoever made it is one of those strange rare people
who don't assume that you have a degree in computer technology, it's so simple you don't need a manual. KISS as Ted would say gets another letter KI-V-SS

I just tried this out on a CF-card where I had deleted all the images but one.
Surprise , surprise it found the 32 shots I'd deleted.
It runs on just about all formats imaginable (including all Canon, Nikon, Olympus and other RAW files) I let it look for CR2, CRW and jpegs. Apart from being a little slow (my brain WAS turned off, I ran it on a 1GB card) it found everything in quick mode, there is another mode
for a more intensive search but I didn't try it yet.
So much for the advantages for storage cards - it looks as if you can also run it over your hard disk or memory stick too, when I get around to it I'll try this too.
It really made my day to find something as well thought out as this.
cheers
Douglas

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm