Which finish is harder - black or silver chrome?

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:07:54 -0700

Everyone:
I just received a used silver M7 0.72 from B&H Photo to replace the one lost in Santa Fe. The old one was black and seemed quieter than the one I just got. And I was almost sure I ordered a black one, though I'm obviously mistaken.

>>Two questions:
>Does anyone have experience with strap scratching or brassing on Leica's latest chrome finish, and how bad does it eventually look?
Scratching a camera isn't that big a deal; cosmetic appearance doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in how hard the finish is.

>Is there much variation in shutter noise between different individual cameras, or is my memory of my black M7's quietness just wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!
And see my show at REI Coop in Saratoga - images at www.mountain-and-desert.com/west.htm