Re: What to do during takeoff & Crashing! :-)

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:20:25 -0800

Mark Bohrer showed:
Subject: What to do during takeoff

Even when you're the first morning flight out, there's always waiting.
Sometimes there's fog and very dreamy scenes out the window:
http://tinyurl.com/yjbrb7m

But the best views happen after your initial climb, some framed with
parts of the airplane:
http://tinyurl.com/ygf99yf

More at http://tinyurl.com/yfosyo5

Hi Mark,
Good effort! One might as well click off a few if the light and content are working together as we see here. Might as well make use of the time rather than sit there twiddling your thumbs until landing.

Back in the early 60's I had two partners and between the thee of us someone was nearly always in the air going some place or coming home. So we set down a few flying rules. :-)
1/
As soon as one was buckled in, out came a camera and set ready to use in the event any untoward things might happen.

2/
In the event of a major mis-adventure in the air, whomever on the plane was to keep shooting every thing possible showing what was happening on the way down! We figured it might keep the mind off the end!

We in the home office were to contact someone at the crash scene to make sure they looked for a camera because whomever was on the plane wasn't to sit there screaming his head off, but keep shooting right up to the END! If that were the case.

We who were left would sell the results.... if any, not burned or destroyed in the crash! We'd divide up the crash cash, giving some to the widow! :-) We were always thoughtful in things like this! :-)

Good or bad fortune we never had to worry about any of the above.

Even though in the month of March 1967 in the High Arctic working out of Resolute Bay NWT I was in two fixed wing aircraft crashings, one out on the Arctic sea ice, the other on a bad landing at the main base. And a helicopter that caught fire and we had to do an emergency landing some where between Canada & Russia! When it was 55 below zero. Then wait 5 hours for the "ski equipped rescue plane" to come get us! Trust me if you've never had the fun of waiting around at 55 below zero for 5 hours you haven't lived . Or felt like you were going to freeze to death! :-) Damn, it was cold!

Oh yeah and one other little item, remember all this in a one month period! I was attacked by a Rabid Arctic fox between two of the flights! Now that was a hell of a scrap me kicking the heck out of it, it lunging at my wind pants that it eventually tore to shreds before I finally got a super great kick into the little critter and it took off toward the main base camp.

One of the flight engineers phoned the base office and told them it was heading in their direction. And sure enough it went right into the main camp area and we heard a gun shot and Mr. Rabid Arctic Fox was no more!

Some where around here I have the last picture I took of the Fox before it went into attack mode. This is how stupid one can be before the action started. My reaction upon seeing the fox coming in my direction was.. "WOW, neat! A wild fox better get some to show there's wild life up here!" Click! Holy sh--! As it leaped at me!

Ah the fun of being a photojournalist! :-) Happy flying! :-) But always keep a camera handy! :-) :-) Like, never leave home without it! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted