SHADOW SIDE LIGHT!/Contre Jour

  • From: Carl Socolow <socphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:07:04 -0500

Here are a couple pictures I've been working on lately that take contre jour lighting with no fill-flash to the extreme. Both are Leica M6 Tri-X 35mm. Daylight photo 35mm pre-ASPH Summicron; Night photo 35mm ASPH Summilux

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/CarlSanderSocolow/MO2007_007_22_10.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/CarlSanderSocolow/MO110406_20_4.jpg.html

Thanks for looking as always.

Carl  Sander Socolow

Jim Brick wrote:
At 05:03 PM 11/11/2007 -0500, Douglas Herr wrote:

There are several nature/wildlife photography websites where critques of a photo made from the shadow side invariably include a suggestion to add some fill flash to get rid of the shadows. I COULD SCREAM!!!

I hear you. The problem with fill ANYTHING, is that it looks like a fill light. It is impossible to fool mother nature and 'real' photographers.

Using a fill light is like using a pinhole camera... take pictures using a pinhole camera and what do you get - photographs that look like they were taken with a pinhole camera. Use a fill light, or reflector, or anything and the photograph will look like you used a fill light, or reflector, or anything!

A zoologist, botanist, or biologist will want a fill light because they are interested in only the plant/animal, and not the photography. So let them take their own pictures!

IMHO,

Jim