Re: Nikon 50mm f1.4 Nikkor lens in Leica Screw Mount

  • From: Michael Levy <yvel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:34:17 -0400

vade mecum is sorta like the "road to travel or "the way to do"

You must be turning Roman or something - vade mecum???? Or maybe it's Native American - he photojournalist!

Anyway, what's your translation for those of us less linguistically accomplished?

And how does the 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor compare to the 1962 50mm f/1.4 Summilux (NOT the brand-new computation of that lens)?

As for that lens comparison i could not make it. I have not used a 50 mm summilux of any stripe. IMO -- look at a new Voigtlander 50 mm (f1.5? 1.7?) They are way less money than the old, collectible Nikkors or the Leica glass and my experiences with the 15,21, 25, 28 (f 3.5) 35 mm (f 1.7 Ultron) have been pleasant. I do not hesitate to recommend those lenses in either LTM or M-mount.

Their camera bodies are fine too-- easy to load, simple to operate and with a GREAT VF/RF and an accurate meter. Plus you can see if there is film inside thru the little window!

I DO NOT like their noise-- the extra shutter needed for winding on (to replace the mirror, there were SLR bodies adapted to RF use) and their light weight are not as nice as the feel of a Leica. Indeed i was shooting with an R and 35 mm Ultron (and a 50 mm LTM summicron from e-Bay) when i fell into a great deal on a Leica M4P plus 35 mm pre-aspheric Summilux, This led to a certain amount of Leicaphilia -- I think I have 4 bodies now and many more lenses, mostly Leitz glass.

I have no desire to seek out a Nikkor 50 mm -- but if one should fall out of the sky or turn up in a garage sale I sure would not hesitate to grab it.