Re: Nathan's PAW 33: The fashion world comes to Almere

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:53:55 -0700

as always...wonderful slice of life images Nathan...

On Aug 28, 2005, at 2:13 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

Week 33 was a nice week for me: my sister from Poland was visiting, so I only worked 2 days, and spent the rest of the time showing her around the Netherlands. At the same time, some interesting stuff happened at home, so the mix of images reflects it.

My dog likes food, as does everyone else in this family. And I always have my camera at hand. My sister had cooked, the weather was nice so we ate in the garden, and the dog was checking things out from her customary position under the table:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33.jpg

just like my dog...you never know where he will pop up...

This is what piqued her interest, a typical Polish dish, pierogi, with the requisite stuff to wash it down:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt1.jpg

mmmmmm...... with vodka...?

Then a couple of images from our trips around the country. In the small lovely town of Gorinchem I spotted this child waiting for his mother outside a shop, and inspired by Don's recent "waiting" series, snapped this:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt2.jpg

This one is a street conversation in Amsterdam, near the red light district:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt3.jpg

Thursday was one of the two days I did work. When I came home, I found a full-fledged photo shoot taking place in my garden (or, more precisely in and around our pool). Our neighbor Felix was shooting an assignment for GQ involving some obscenely expensive male underwear, and had decided on a watery theme--hence the use of our pool. Here is Felix in action on our back porch:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt4.jpg

nice series by the pool...love the photog , the joys of smoking and shooting...good for a prolonged thread here or elsewhere...

The basic setup was that the models (there were two guys) would pose in the pool:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt5.jpg
and then my wife and my son would pour water on the model from each side because Felix wanted some kind of waterfall effect:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt6.jpg
As is obvious from the above image, it is not easy for the model to keep his eyes open and otherwise hold the pose in those circumstances, so the shot would be re-taken, and then again and again and...This was a reasonably nice summer day, and the water in our pool is heated to 24-26 C, but we are after all talking Holland here, so after a while the model would be visibly cold:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt7.jpg
I certainly got an appreciation of how hard these guys and gals actually work during a shoot.

For those interested in seeing more, I have put up a separate gallery of that here:
http://www.fotocycle.dk/indexmodel.html

thanks for continuing to share your wonderful images. Steve

The complete PAW index is at: http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2005.html and comments and critique are as always gratefully accepted.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman