Re: I don't usually shoot birds

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:09:54 -0800

Sonny:
I've found the subjects in most flight shots to be targets of opportunity - but it helps to be ready. I've had best success watching a perched bird and waiting for takeoff. Raptors may let you know they're about to go by squatting and crapping first to lighten their load. With most birds, all you get is a downward squat, then takeoff.

Your heron image is nicely composed. The lines from the tree reflection lead my eye in the direction of the bird's travel. I'd like more sharpness in the bird's head - but my guess is he moved, and your shutter speed wasn't quite fast enough.

This guy was supposed to be a portrait, but he took off first:
http://tinyurl.com/4fjk3

Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com

At 12:32 PM 1/29/2007, you wrote:
In a message dated 1/28/2007 2:11:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, douglas.sharp@xxxxxx writes:
But when you do...... !!!
Douglas

> http://www.sonc.com/blue1.htm

Thanks, Douglas.  I think that's my first successful heron in flight.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
égalité, liberté, crawfish