Help received- photographic terminology

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MUG <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:21:31 +0100

Thanks to everyone for helping - really too many of you to mention everyone by name. The Denkzettel in the sense of a "shot across the bows", "something to think about" or a "warning for evermore" I am familiar with after 30 years of work over here in Hannover - had enough of them from my old boss (a Greek tyrant) :-)

The big problem you keep coming up against when you're a translator is when some advertising or marketing geek picks up a word and uses it in a totally foreign context (as here) - they do it in English and German all the time - it's pretty obvious what is "meant" ( A list of things to do - and all hell be upon you if you don't - and that's why you signed it on the bottom line). I just couldn't find it anywhere in a photographic context.

Anyway, now I have a whole bunch of useful alternatives, from highly technical to colloquial - thanks again everybody, both on-list and off - what a wonderful bunch of people!!

Douglas
G2E Translations in Hannover, Germany