RE: China Travel Advice

  • From: "Marshall, C.R." <C.R.Marshall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:04:14 -0500

My friend Gary just spent a month in China with a group of students (he
is a faculty member).

His comments:
---
No matter how much mental preparation you do, there are 2 things you
can't get your mind around.    First, China has a LOT of people.  I've
been to NYC, LA, etc., but none of that prepared me for China; these
people are in a hurry, and want to get there NOW.  Second, China is a
VERY foreign country.  Although many of the signs have English
lettering, the translation can be quite iffy.  For example, we are not
used to as many Q's and X's as they use.  Also the signs may read
peculiarly because they may be exact translations from the Chinese.  I
saw a sign that said, "The water here is making very deeply.  Be
carefully!"  These signs are nicknamed Chinglish, and this was one of
the more intelligible ones.

Generally speaking, you should be able to arrange a tour guide to show
you around very cheaply.  It is NOT a good idea to rent a car, and just
go driving.  When you see the traffic in China, you'll understand why.
There is plenty of adventure to be had even within the confines of being
with a tour guide.  Things can be quite random.  Also, the number of
people who will be able to speak English is VERY limited, especially
once you leave Beijing and Shanghai.  Finally, there are certain things
you can do that will land you in jail, and there is nothing you or your
embassy can do about it.

The Chinese view of safety is very different from ours.  Things that
they consider safe, we wouldn't do on a bet.  Also, many of the tourist
attractions have very dangerous walkways, etc.  You should not walk
around looking up.  I have tripped on uneven pavement many times as I
was taking in some amazing sight.

Have fun on your trip.

---

I hope this is of interest.