RE: [Bulk] RE: It always makes me wonder...

  • From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:11:06 -0700

Dave Saalsaa offered:
Subject: Re: [Bulk] RE: It always makes me wonder...

Very true, you never assume from one's appearance although David may be very
correct in this case.  I treat all of my customers with respect and am
polite to them no matter how they are dressed.  I dress very casually as
well.  Which reminds me that I was escorted out of a Gucci's in Chicago once
by the sales clerk who must have thought I was a bit too casually dressed to
be shopping there. I still carry a grudge. <<<<

Hi Dave,

Well not escorted out of a store but begrudgingly allowed into a CEO's
office to do a news photo of the head guy. However.

It's winter, I've just come from a shoot in the middle of no where at a down
and dirty assignment and look like I've been shot out of a cannon side ways
with a keg of nails. Trust me that bad!

Do the shot and the CEO says, "How is it all you news-photographers go
around looking like yer bums?"

Well the truth is it was in the early '70's when many news shooters wanted
to dress like "Animal" on one of the TV programmes and did look like him in
clothing or worse. I too fell into the trap to some degree.

Actually if I'd known I was getting stuck with this last minute assignment
earlier I'd have changed clothes as the assignment dictates how one dresses.

My response was, "Sorry Sir I've just come from an assignment in the middle
of nowhere and this isn't my normal dress code.

However if we should meet again and I'm aware I'm taking your picture, be
assured I'll be wearing one of my better suits costing in the several
hundreds of dollars. Thank you and good day."

Damned if this guy wasn't some elite CEO in the community and sure enough I
had to photograph him about ten days later! And he remembered. Best part? So
did I! :-)

Yep me in expensive suit with a Leica slung on shoulder and he says, "Now
that's better, you look like a professional VIP photographer!" I just smiled
and said, "thank you." Camera up, click! And that was it.

True we can't in many cases tell the $ value of a human by their dress, but
in many cases it's what and how they talk and what they want tells more of
their value than the dollar.