[leasbirds] The October Report for the 2014 Game - A Slightly Bigger Patch

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 14:46:42 -0600

Greetings All

This year's game, titled 'A Slightly Bigger Patch' is to see
how many species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and
mammal I can find in my home region.

The LEAS region includes fifteen counties (Bailey, Lamb,
Hale, Floyd, Motley, Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby,
Dickens, Yoakum,Terry, Lynn, Garza, and Kent) and, with
portions of the region below and atop the Caprock Escarpment,
offers a fairly wide variety of habitats.  My goals for the
year are 75 species of butterfly, 10 species of amphibian,
25 species of reptile, 300 species of bird, and 25 species of
mammal.

October was about as good as can be expected in terms of
building a big list, given at all the easy stuff had been
picked off earlier in the year, but I managed to add a
butterfly and a handful of birds to the totals.  All in all
I saw 37 species of butterfly, 1 species of amphibian, 9
species of reptile, 107 species of bird, and 8 species of
mammal during the month, bringing my totals to 79 species of
butterfly (105%), 13 species of amphibian (130%), 31 species
of reptile (124%, 286 species of bird (95%), and 39 species
of mammal (156%)for the year.

Evidently, Rich Kostecke squeaked Red-breasted Merganser onto
his list on the 31st, snagging a last minute tie for our
region:region contest with both of us at 286 birds at the end
of the month.  We will have to see what we can do during the
two months remaining in the year.

Without further ado, the list for October with the new stuff
*sked.

Funereal Duskywings
Common Checkered Skipper
Common Sootywings