[leasbirds] Highlights from Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>, Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:22:53 -0600

Greetings All:

Acting on a couple of tips from the inestimable and very much appreciated
Phillip Kite, I got out and explored Lubbock's waterways from 8:45 this
morning to 2:00 this afternoon.  I managed to pick up 87 species (might
have gone for 100 if I had had more time but probably wouldn't have made
it) and yes, Mr. Kostecke, two of them were new for my regional list this
year (Horned Grebe, Western Grebe).  The following are the stops and
highlights - in order of visitation.

Andrews Park: 1 Western Grebe.

Lake Six: 2 Canvasbacks, 4 Redhads, 1 Red-breasted Merganser, 1 Horned
Grebe, 11 Eared Grebes, 1 Snowy Egret, 1 Osprey, 6 Least Sandpipers, and 1
Pyrrhuloxia.

Mae Simmons Park: 1 Sora, 2 Common Gallinules, 3 Wilson's Snipes, and 1
Common Yellowthroat.

MacKenzie Park: 1 Osprey, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 8 Wilson's Snipes, 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch, 1 House Wren, 2 Winter Wrens, and 1 Orange-crowned
Warbler.

Buddy Holly Park: 2 Inca Doves - I don't know if these were at the same
place that Manuel De Leon found the species a while back but it pays to
check out the yards across the road from the lake:)

Earl Crow Park: 2 Greater White-fronted Geese, 9 Snow Geese, 5 Ross's
Geese, and 1 Peregrine Falcon.

Clapp Park: 2 Wood Ducks, 2 Canvasbacks, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 1 Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, 1 Swamp Sparrow, and 2 Pine Siskins.

Leroy Elmore Park: 3 Wood Ducks.

Dupree Park: 1Snow Goose, 1 Great Egret, and 2 Snowy Egrets.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock