[leasbirds] Bonaparte's Gulls and other lunch sightings.

  • From: Lubbockites <lubbockites@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Leasbirds <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 22:59:50 -0600

Today during a quick lunch drive-by birding, I had four Bonaparte's Gulls at
Lake 1, making the Ringbilleds seem much larger. Other birds of note on Lake 1
were an Avocet and a female Bufflehead. Lake 2 had a Ross' Goose and three
Least Sandpipers on the dam. Lots of geese on/at the two lakes, but except for
the one Ross', they were all white-cheeks.

A drive through after work revealed that the Bonaparte's had left, as had
almost all the geese. I assume they were feeding later after the snow cover had
melted.
There was a Harlan's Redtail at the Lubbock Lake Landmark at lunch. A buteo was
in the same area after work, but I didn't see it well enough to tell if it was
the Harlan's.

Sent slowly from Phillip Kite's iPhone