[ldapdata] LDAP Newsletter 1-02-05 (Coral Directory)

  • From: Hallett German <hrgerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ldapdata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:39:57 -0500

LDAP: ACCESS & DATA ADMINISTRATION NEWSLETTER
1/02/05
Topics:  LDAP Browser Interviews:
Introduction and Hans Maeda(Coral Directory)

Issue Contents:

* LDAP Browser Interviews: Introduction
* LDAP Browser Interviews: Hans Maeda -- Coral Directory
* Next Time: What Can Go Wrong with LDAP Administration and
  Directories
* Articles and Comments Welcome

Business/IT Services for small and medium businesses.
Specializing in network identity, project management, and
business development.

Visit us and read more about the Alessea difference.

RSS: http://www.alessea.com/feed.xml
Blog: http://alessea.com/v-web/b2/
Phone: 860-346-9121
By Hallett German

Topic: LDAP Browser: Interviews

Recently, your newsletter staff submitted a series of
questions to all known MS-Windows developers of LDAP Browser
software. (Cygsoft, CodeMerc, Microsoft,and Ram's Head Software
were unable to be reached. We would love to include you as well!)
These questions concerned product origin, development process,
next product release, and more. Answers are printed here without
revision except for minor changes. A few editors' notes may be
added for clarification.

You can find the complete list of questions here:
http://www.alessea.com/newsletters/questions.txt

Topic: LDAP Browser Interviews:
Hans Maeda -- Coral Directory

During the past year, Hans Maeda has been actively updating
and enhancing Coral Directory. Recently, he has revamped his
web site (http://bhd.staba.jp/ldap/) which is available in both
Japanese and English. Coral Directory is freeware in the United States
and shareware in Japan. The current release is 1.5.2.14

Mr. Maeda sent us a copy of the "interview" in both Japanese and English.
Two of our interns, Alessandra German and Chelsea German did the
translation.

Q1. Why did you decide to create "yet" another LDAP
directory browser when so many already exist?

A.Our first motive for developing Coral Directory was to create
a simple and intuitively easy-to-operate browser. Also, we
wanted as many people as possible to use the OpenLDAP server. OpenLDAP
is exceedingly straightforward ? it is relatively effortless to
administer and operate. OpenLDAP makes LDAP familiar and non-threatening
and has an uncomplicated structure. OpenLDAP was developed to provide an
environment where the user themselves can manage various data. And
when combined with Coral Directory, Open LDAP can interface with
a variety of technologies such as IEEE 802.1x and others.

Q2. What is your process for deciding which features to
include in future releases of your browser?
Q3.How are these future release features captured? (e.g.
User suggestions, employee input, bug tracking software)

A. It has become our primary goal to strengthen Coral Directory's search
filter performance and functionality. I think that improving the
filter's performance to meet the needs of advanced/power users will be
tackled. This is not just simply adding a function, but incorporating new
ways of doing things. But if it can be added in some way, it probably
will be.

Q4a. Against what "checklist" did you use to see if your
browser was LDAP-standard compliant?

A. I used to test Coral Directory with LDAP servers other than OpenLDAP.
But I?m only testing against OpenLDAP now. Although I want to test out other
LDAP servers, I don?t have the time.

Q4b. How do you track changes in the LDAP standard?  How much
time does your company spend doing this?

This can be called a project without a public and private
boundary line. Whenever our work can be linked with the
LDAP effort, we can save a good deal of time. If the work
cannot build on LDAP's accomplishments, then sleep will be cut back.

As for the question regarding LDAP standard, I will pass on
giving an answer.

Q5.  Do you plan to continue upgrading the product for the
near future?

A.Yes. Release enhancements are prioritized based on user
requests that we receive. Suggestions and feedback from users
knowledgeable of multiple languages is particularly welcomed.

Q6.  What are some of the features to be included in the
next major release?
Q7. What lesser-known LDAP browser feature would your
users find helpful?

A. Since we are still processing and receiving user requests,
we haven't given it a good deal of thought to date.

Q8. Do you plan to add an API so users can customize the
product? If you have/had an API, what types of things
do/might customers use it for?

A. Offering an API in a future release has not been
planned yet. But, we would like to offer one.

Q9.  Which LDAP Directory Servers have
you tested against?

A. OpenLDAP(2.1.x, 2.2.x) and some others. We?ve carried out
testing using an LDAP-compliant test suite.

Q10.  Describe your testing process (e.g. software used,
process, tracking, etc)
Q11.  What are some of the extremes that you have tested for
(longest search, etc)

A. Although extensive testing of large LDAP directories can be done,
there is an associated problem that the sorting process is slow.
Note that Japanese character processing is compressed for efficiency
and has not run out of capacity.

We have reached a different kind of limit. Coral Directory is sold to
companies. And we have reached our practical limit in our business support.

12.  Was there a question that you wished that was asked?
What was the answer that you would had given?

A.  Yes, ?Is it possible for you to answer as well as possible??

I'm sorry since I am not good at English, I sometime reach a place where
my attempt to produce the right meaning results in strange sentences.
In addition, I appreciate you providing a forum that allows me to
convey my thoughts as a developer. Also, thank you for giving many
opportunities to support the LDAP browser community and Coral Directory in
particular.

Next Time: What Can Go Wrong with LDAP Administration and
Directories

I'll continue the series that first appeared in the December
2004 issue.

Topic: Articles and Comments Welcome

I welcome 100-800 word articles for inclusion in future
issues. Vendors and LDAP data administrators are
particularly welcome. Of course, you receive full credit and
ownership of your article. Thanks in advance for your help.

Please feel free to comment on how useful it was and what
you would like to see in the future.
Contact me at hallett.german@xxxxxxxxxxxx
About Hal German

Hallett German has 20 years experience in a variety of
IT positions and in implementing stable infrastructures.
This includes directories/messaging architecture,
desktop support, and IT management. Hal is the founder
of the Northeast SAS Users Group and former President
of the REXX Language Association. He is the author of
three books on scripting languages. Periodically, he
writes articles on various business and IT topics.

Contacting Hal German/Past Issues

Mail: hallett.german@xxxxxxxxxxx

Archive of the LDAP Administration Newsletter:
http://www.alessea.com/newsletters.htm

Copyright Alessea Consulting 2005