Fwd: December 4th - Final Meeting for 2008

  • From: dgreene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: lanug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 07:31:13 -0600

If anyone is interested!
Ryan Duclos

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <karla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:38 AM
Subject: December 4th - Final Meeting for 2008

Good Morning Again Pensacola SQL Members,

I just wanted to thank you all for coming to last week's meeting, what a
great turn out we had (over 30)!  And wow, wasn't Matt Panzano just
fantastic...I love any speaker who can blend knowledge with some great
humor!

As I mentioned at the meeting, we won't be having a November meeting due
to our hosting the MSDN Tiki Hut Roadshow and with SQL PASS being November
19-21st, and of course Thanksgiving.

We will be having our final meeting of the year on Thursday, December 4th
from 6:30 to 10:00, sponsored by TEK Systems (they totally rock...trust
me, without them, we'd be meeting in the park!).  On this evening we will
only have one hour long presentation, then music (courtesy of our very own
Hollywood Rob) and fun!  We will be giving away LOTS of swag on this
evening and other donated prizes from local businesses here in Pensacola.
We will have a bartender on this evening, although depending on donations,
not sure if we can do "open bar" or not, I will let you know as we get
closer.  If any of you know of a business or even your own companies, who
would be willing to donate something, please let me know who to get in
contact with.  I am trying to get everything lined up before PASS,
November 18th, so we are in a bit of a crunch on time.  Also, if you'd
like to bring someone with you on this evening, absolutely significant
others are welcome. This again will be more of a party than a meeting!

Our guest speaker on December 4th is Barry Ralston.  Here is the info on
him and his presentation:

Topic:  MDX for SQL Programmers
Date:  Thursday, December 4, 2008
Speaker:  Barry Ralston
Location:  Heritage Hall at Seville Quarter
Event Sponsor:  TEK Systems

This session will introduce the language for accessing data in SQL Server
Analysis Services (SSAS) cube structures.    SSAS is not just about ad hoc
tools and end-user 'slicing and dicing' of data.  The speaker will present
the basic concepts of MDX including hierarchical navigation functions,
sorting and ranking and creation of calculated members.  The session will
incorporate demonstration queries using OLAP structures readily available
for self-led follow-up training.

Speaker Bio:

Barry is currently Chief Architect for Business Intelligence with
Birmingham-based ComFrame Software. Since joining ComFrame in 2001, his
client successes include Aflac, Honda, and the Children's Hospital of
Alabama. In addition to speaking at the Alabama .Net Code Camps 1, 4 and
5, Barry has delivered presentations on Business Intelligence with
Microsoft technologies at SQL Saturday 1 and 4. With a career in Business
Intelligence spanning 14 years, he has previously been an invited speaker
to the Oracle Development Tools User Group, International Oracle User
Group - Americas and JavaOne. Please include a link to my blog
http://sqlbi.blogspot.com and ComFrame www.comframe.com

Again, thank you all for coming last week, it was great to see so many of
you make it!  And be sure to mark your calendars for December 4th!  This
will be one you won't want to miss!

Cheers,
Karla Remail
Chapter Leader