[LandXML] CrossSectSurf question

  • From: "Fernando Puertas \(TOOL S.A.\)" <fpuertas@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:44:37 +0100

We are having a 1.0 vs. 1.2 issue with the interpretation of the
"CrossSectSurf" documentation. In the 1.0 documentation, the elevation
is expected to be expressed in absolute coordinates. However, the 1.1
& 1.2 versions state this: "Defined as a space delimited PntList2D of
offset-distance/offset-elevation from the centerline, also known as
the profile grade line. Typically represent existint ground surfaces."

The "offset-elevation" wording seems to imply that the elevations are
now expected to be relative elevations from the "centerline"; the
example attached to the documentation seems to support this
interpretation. Now, if this interpretation is right, we have a
problem when determining what exactly is our "certerline". At first
glance, it would seem to refer to the profile line defined using the
"ProfAlign" entity within the same "Alignment" entity, but... what if
we have defined more than one "ProfAlign"? Are we supposed to somehow
mark one of those "ProfAlign" entities as our "centerline"? If so, how
are we supposed to do such thing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fernando