[Kids Together email newsletter] November 2006

  • From: "Kids Together" <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ktnewsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:12:03 -0500

Kids Together Email Newsletter

                    "promoting inclusive communities where all people belong"

                    November 2006 Newsletter
                     Please notify us to receive this newsletter in text only.
                    This list consists of over 3000 people (and growing!)
                    Suggestions for newsletter items are welcome!

                     "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about
things that matter."
                    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr ~

                    Building the Legacy: IDEA 2004
                    U.S. Department of Education,
                    Office of Special Education Programs' (OSEP's) IDEA website
                    http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view

                    A "one-stop shop" for resources related to IDEA and its
implementing regulations
                    Released on August 3, 2006. It is a "living" website and
will change and grow as resources and information become available. When fully
implemented, the site will provide searchable versions of IDEA and the
regulations, access to cross-referenced content from other laws (e.g., the No
Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act
(FERPA), etc.), video clips on selected topics, topic briefs on selected
regulations, links to OSEP's Technical Assistance and Dissemination (TA&D)
Network and a Q&A Corner where you can submit questions, and a variety of other
information sources. As items are completed and added to this site, we invite
you to grow and learn with us as we implement these regulations.

                    Provides, news, updates, webcasts, video clips, meeting
announcements, Q&A's etc. on topics such as Alignment with NCLB, Discipline,
Disproportionality, Early Intervening Services, Evals and Reevals, Funding,
Highly Qualified Teachers, Identifying Specific Learning Disabilities, IEPs,
Monitoring, NIMAS, Part C Option, Private Schools, Procedural Safeguards,
Secondary Transition, Statewide and Districtwide Assessments.

                    National Inclusive Schools WeekT

                    December 4-8, 2006
                    6th Annual National Inclusive Schools Week!
                    http://www.inclusiveschools.org/
                    What is YOUR School Doing?

                    National Inclusive Schools Week highlights and celebrates
the progress of our nation's schools in providing a supportive and quality
education to an increasingly diverse student population, including students
with disabilities, those from low socio-economic backgrounds, and English
language learners. The Week also provides an important opportunity for
educators, students, and parents to discuss what else needs to be done in order
to ensure that their schools continue to improve their ability to successfully
educate all children.

                    Free Celebration Kit http://www.inclusiveschools.org/kit.asp
                    a.. Download a Checklist for Celebrating the Week  (PDF
file)
                    a.. Download the Planning and Record Form  (PDF file)

                    Great Handout for Parents!!!!

                    Functional Behavioral Assessment and Positive Interventions:
                    What Parents Need to Know
                    PACER Center
                    http://www.osepideasthatwork.org/ParentKit/php-c79.pdf  (8
pages Adobe .pdf file)

                    Many children have inappropriate behaviors that are part of
their disability. We can teach appropriate behavior skills to children! To do
so, we need to understand problem behaviors, such as where they occur and what
purpose they serve for a child. The process of learning about how children
develop problem behaviors is called functional behavioral assessment (FBA). If
we learn about the behaviors and know when and where they are likely to happen,
we can plan positive strategies to teach new behaviors. These strategies are
called positive behavioral interventions. Teachers and parents will use the
information from an FBA to help a child learn new skills. The goal is to teach
children how  to manage their own behaviors. This overview will help parents
understand functional behavioral assessment and positive intervention.

                     Great Handout for Teachers!!!!

                    20 (Self-)Critical Things I Will Do
                    to Be a More Equitable Educator
                    By Paul C. Gorski for EdChange
                    http://www.edchange.org/handouts/20things.doc

                    1.    I will learn to pronounce every student's full given
name correctly. No student should feel the need to shorten or change her or his
name to make it easier for me or their classmates to pronounce. I will practice
and learn every name, regardless of how difficult it feels or how
time-consuming it becomes. That is the first step in being inclusive.

                    2.    I will sacrifice the safety of my comfort zone by
building a process for continually assessing, understanding, and challenging my
biases and prejudices and how they impact my expectations for, and
relationships with, all students, parents, and colleagues.

                    3.    I will center student voices, interests, and
experiences in and out of my classroom. Even while I talk passionately about
being inclusive and student-centered in the classroom, I rarely include or
center students in conversations about school reform. I must face this
contradiction and rededicate to sharing power with my students.

                    ** For list items 4 -20 download the full two page
Microsoft Word Document

                     In Pennsylvania

                    Executive Director, Institute on Disabilities
                    Professor of Education
                    Recruiting to fill the Executive director's position by
July, 2007 with one year of transition

                    College of Education at Temple University announces an
opening for the position of Executive Director of the Institute on Disabilities
and Professor of Education. The College is seeking an active researcher and
faculty member to assume leadership of the College's Institute on Disabilities
when the director retires on June 30, 2008.

                    The Institute on Disabilities is Pennsylvania's University
Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Education, Research, and
Service. Funded by the Administration on Developmental Disabilities under the
Developmental Disabilities Act, the Institute provides university and community
training, innovative services and supports, technical assistance, research, and
dissemination to support people with disabilities in their pursuit of
independence, productivity, community inclusion, and overall quality of life.
More information is available at: disabilities.temple.edu Interested applicants
should contact Dr. Diane Nelson Bryen, Executive Director, Institute on
Disabilities, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA  19122. (215) 204-1356 (voice
&tty); (215) 204-6336 (fax); e-mail dianeb@xxxxxxxxxx

                    The Parent Side (tm)
                    T-shirts, cards, magnets mugs, stickers & more!
                    It's a campaign for inclusion and against exclusion!
                    http://www.theparentside.com

                    Give holiday greetings AND promote inclusion!  Cards, gifts
and items for everyone, children, adults, advocates, self-advocates,
professionals and families. Give a unique gift to the advocate who supported
you or reward yourself and make a statement! Tote bags, mugs, t-shirts, hats,
sweatshirts, mousepads, buttons, magnets, posters and more! Designs that speak!

                    Free shipping with orders over $50 through December 20.
                    New Merchandise! . Women's Dark T-shirt (Black) . Women's
Long Sleeve T-shirt (White) . Women's Long Sleeve Dark T-shirt (Black and
Brown) . Men's Long Sleeve Dark T-shirt (Black, Navy, and Ash Grey) . Dark
T-shirt (Navy and Military Green - under the Dark T-shirt) . Pink & Blue Infant
Bodysuits  .  Pink & Blue Toddler T-shirts  . White hooded sweatshirts and
more!!!

                    .
                    Resources are listed for general information purposes only
                    Kids Together does not endorse products, services, or
provide any legal advice

                    Kids Together, Inc. is an all-volunteer non-profit 501(c)3
organization
                    We support the belief that children with disabilities, like
all children,
                    have the need to be welcomed, cherished and embraced in our
communities.

                    To Subscribe or Unsubscribe go to
//www.freelists.org/webpage/ktnewsletter
                    or Subscribe email ktnewsletter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  type