[korgypark] Sysex for changing mode on the 05R/W etc.

  • From: Tony Thompson <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 13:44:24 +0000

Hi Andy, people...

>> I worked these out drum patch change numbers step by step for my setup in
>> Logic audio some 3 years ago. They go as follows (really - what were these
>> Korg guys doing?):
>>
> <snip>
>
>> Crazy, but true! I simply copied and pasted all that stuff above from my
>> Logic setup.
>
> Is it really that crazy?  Most GM synths I have played with have worked
> like this (not sure about the exact numbers tho).

I regard it as crazy if they don't do something like a block of 16 for each
drum kit, or simply repeat the changes in order over and over again.

>> If anybody else out there is using Logic, I have some Environment tools
>> which may help - the Multi-instrument object which has all the proper bank
>> change messages, a mixer with controls for filter cutoff, release and attack
>> as well as volume, pan, FX1 and FX2 for each channel, and a little set of
>> button controls which switch mode  - ie  from Combi to Prog to Multi to
>> Global.
>
> Wow, that sounds really useful :).  I currently use MicroLogic AV but am
> thinking about upgrading to Logic Platinum 5 as I find micrologic some
> what restrictive :(.  If I do, I'll definitely be interested in those
> environments.
If you do upgrade, join LUG - the Logic Users Group on the Yahoo Groups site
(email to logic-users-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) - as it is the best source
of help.

>> I get annoyed that my 05R/W boots up in Combi mode as I never use
>> Combi and it's in a rack on a shelf out of sight, so I worked out the Sysex
>> to switch it remotely.
>
> Yes, that annoys me too, could you post the hex to the list so other
> people can use it in their own sequencers?

In fact, I used the 'Listen to MIDI' function which I know there is in
Cubase and I guess might be present in other sequencers like Sonar. I hit
the buttons on the module to give the series of changes and recorded the
Sysex, assigning it to a series of buttons, which in Logic you have to link
by virtual cable ot the Multi Instrument object.

Program Mode:
$F0 $42 $30 Korg  $36 $4E $02 ++<$f7>
0r Sysex 66 48 Korg 54 78 2 VAL + + <EOX>
Combi Mode:
$F0 $42 $30 Korg  $36 $4E $00 ++<$F7>
Sysex 66 48 Korg 54 78 0 VAL + + <EOX>
Multi Mode:
$F0 $42 $30 Korg  $36 $4E $04 ++<$F7>
Sysex 66 48 Korg 54 78 4 VAL + + <EOX>
Global Mode:
$F0 $42 $30 Korg  $36 $4E $05 ++<$F7>
Sysex 66 48 Korg 54 78 5 VAL + + <EOX

> On a related (but slightly off topic) note, which version of Logic do
> you use?  If you use platinum, how do you find the supplied plugins?
> More specifically the mastering plugins like the multiband compressor
> and limiter?  I tried out T-racks mastering software over the weekend
> and was amazed at the results, but it is just too plain expensive at
> 300USD, that is getting on for a third of the cost of LA Platinum!  I've
> downloaded the demo of the PSP mastering plugins, but haven't tried
> these yet.  Any one else got any comments on mastering plugins?
> Especially comparisons to the Logic Audio plugins...

I'm still on Platinum 4.8.1, which doesn't have the multiband compressor. I
plan to upgrade when I can afford a whole new studio computer bundle with
flat screen, new MIDI interface, broadband connection if possible, the works
basically, probably when the Apple G5 comes out. I am doing a lot of
acoustic recording these days and wanting to improve the analogue side of
things.

I hear that the multiband compressor is good. I like the built-in compressor
and multiband EQ and use it extensively. I also have a Focurite MixMaster
analogue multiband compressor and EQ, which I would back against any virtual
equivalent. I can mix in Logic, run it via S/PDIF to my DAT machine, and
then run the mix back through the Focusrite in the analogue domain and
record the result in Logic or Peak.

I also really enjoy using the free CamelPhat VST plugin on a whole mix, or
on stuff like drum tracks routed to a stereo buss. You can get some nice
extreme stuff out of it, or use it gently.

I would caution against excessive use of compression on mixes. It certainly
ruined one album I worked on - sucked all the life out of it. Go to
http://www.digido.com and read what pro mastering engineers think. There is
generally a great reaction in the business against the overprocessed
'Finalized' sound. People really do like to hear light and shade in music -
don't destroy the dynamics.

ATB,

Tony Thompson

Mighty Wight Productions

                                        http://www.mightywight.net

A Member of The Music Producers Guild UK

                                        http://www.mpg.org.uk