[korgypark] Korg 05R/w PCI/F driver installation: Windows 98 and ME

  • From: randy.suchy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:15:09 EST

Wow... lotsa confusion on this one.  If you're running Win 98 or ME and have
failed at trying to install O5R/W drivers, this is your lucky day.

1)  You must have the correct cable configured exactly as the manual
indicates:

mini DIN 8-pin plug (male)   <->   D-SUB 9 pin serial jack (female)
                                                       ----- 8

                                                       ----- 7
       3                        <->                       2
       4                        <->                       5
       5                        <->                       3

Although many Mac cables (modem, printer, etc.) come with the 8 pin DIN on
one end, no standard cable I have found has this configuration.  I took old
ends of each and connected them correctly at mid-cable.  BE CAREFUL and
test... the 8 pin orientation is subtle, and I had to re-solder after
connecting wrong pins.  Usually, the 9 pin jacks have small pin# markings,
but make sure you understand pin configuration diagrams you might have or
find on web for the 8 pin, as most show pins from the back i.e. soldering
side!

2) Set the Korg module global setting for "PC I/F clock" to 38.4 KB PS
(unfortunately not the default).  This is in the manual, but not mentioned in
the Appendix regarding driver installation where it's needed.  The Korg will
not be detected by the computer and consequently com 1 port will not be
selectable in the driver dialog (see below) if this is not done first.

Note:  If you have unsuccessfully tried to install older W95 or Windows 3.11
drivers, you should uninstall them first (see below within 3)

3)  Install ONLY the version 1.3 drivers, at
http://cc.joensuu.fi/~jsimonen/sw/pc/korg_w95.zip.  The various other driver
packages are almost identical on sight, but this version has been updated to
get around the problem of not finding an open com 1 port which you'll get
using older versions.  If you're new or don't understand how to install,
here's the Win ME method (98 very similar):    unzip above files into their
own directory.  go to control panel, "add/remove hardware."  Click through
any dialogs with "no" until you get a chance to select either:  A) Let
Windows look for hardware, or B) Find hardware manually...   click B option
(manual locate).  From the device picker, select "Sound, video and game
controllers,"  then select "Have Disk."  Browse to unziped driver folder and
select the appropriate .inf file and .drv files sequentially.  You should
then be taken to a setup dialog for the driver.  Select "Com 1" and continue.
 The computer will want to reboot, and do so.  When you come back up, unless
your com 1 port is being used (which you will have to free-up by
eliminating/reconfiguring whatever is using com 1), you will have a valid
driver on line.

I made mistake of trying to install what I though were newer drivers than
v.1.3, and spent much time not finding com 1 port, crashing, etc.  The only
way I've found to uninstall the improper drivers is to enter Safe mode, go to
control panel, "Sounds" find the Korg device listed under the last tab
(devices, I think), and remove it without clicking settings, then reboot to
98.

4)  Open your MIDI aps and select the Korg drivers for in and out, and ROCK
ON GARTH.

LESSONS:  I learned 2... Always make sure you have the most current and/or
applicable driver available, and DON'T SKIP INSTRUCTION STEPS if you're lucky
enough to have them ;)  (step 2 above was included in readme files which I
stupidly overlooked ;)

have fun, and let me know if this helps anybody!