[klaatumail] Technical Question - no KK

  • From: A F <tnshell40@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:35:16 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, the other day I was swapping out CD's in my car and when I do that, for
some reason when I eject a CD it defaults to an AM station (no I am not asking
why, but you need this for the set up).  Well it is set to a talk station (I
guess from the previous owner, when I swtich mode, I goto FM and have not even
set the AM stations, but I digress) and I was surprised to hear Bowies Space
Oddity (sp?).  I was like okay but I started to listen.

It was at the begining of the song and I thought 'this mix is odd' (at first I
thought it was that odd ball mix that is on youtube that Bowie was never
thrilled got released) and then it was like half the song disapeared and when
you got to the count down, you heard that but not the other half of the song.
I knew then it was like when a stereo speaker goes out and you only hear half
the song (think Beatles or the Wall by Floyd when one speaker is out).  The
vocals that should have been heard during the countdown are that down the well
echo sound and I thought that is annoying, then it dawned on me, I am on AM -
MONO AM.

At first I thought I had one of those rare AM/FM radios with AM Stereo (that
still around?) then I thought 'what if a speaker went?' so a quick speaker
test.  I goto CD #4, Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the end of
Interstellar Overdrive with it's criss cross madnes and then slow cross fade
(hear that on an early CD with head phones you can almost hear the CLICK of the
board as one side of the channel dies and starts the cross fade back to the
other side on the outro) and I realized, no all stereo functions a go!  Then I
re-load the two discs I changed out and went on my merry way.

But since then the WAIT A MINUTE factor has been going off in my head.  Though
they used the stereo mix of the song shouldn't have the song collapsed back
onto itself on the reception of my car as an Ad Hoc mono?  How can the
car/stereo reciever recognize it was stereo yet only play half the track UNLESS
(and this is where I think I answer my own question, but going to bounce it off
you guys anyway) even though they are a talk station on AM in MONO (you can't
miss that high quality mono sound from this station) but may have used a signal
for stereo and the equipment (ie transmitter) did the best it could do with the
parameters it had to work with.   The were doing a stupid tie in with the
lyrics (trying to be funny I assume) and that is why they even played part of
the song.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Questions? Winning lottery numbers you want to share with
me BEFORE they are drawn?   Let me know.

Alex
http://www.youtube.com/user/100dollarklaatubid