[klaatumail] Quotes to lighten your day

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:21:25 -0400

Hi all,

Figured I'd drop a quick note to comment on something that happened
recently.

A friend, on this list, posted on facebook about remasters by one of his
musical taste's enjoyed artists.  In addition to this, he talked about
tracking down rare vinyl versions for the photos and other rarities,
such as alternate mixes which aren't on CD yet.

Another friend, on this list, commented on that post to attack the
audiophile who says it's all about the sound quality, but who doesn't
get rid of the inferior pressings when superior ones come out.

While seemingly angst ridden, the later comment got me thinking about my
own "collecting" vs "hoarding" music in my collection.  Why do I keep
older versions? Because I haven't had time to compare them to the new
ones to make sure nothing is amiss?  Because I can't bring myself to
part with them? Because I didn't know I had them since my collection is
so huge?

Anyhow, in the quest for some totally unrelated information on some high
end equipment, which I now forget what I was even looking for
information about, I came across some quotes that reminded me of the
facebook situation, which I thought were enjoyable enough on their own
merit to send to the list.

Here goes:

"Phonograph, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead
noises."-Ambrose Bierce (in The Devils's Dictionary, Dover, 1958)

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign:
that all the dunces are in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift

"And last, even though this recording features electronically produced
sounds, massive intentional distortion, completely unnatural backwards
guitars, tons of multi-tracking with absolutely no regard for correct
polarity, and a totally artificial ambient environment, the audible tape
hiss and AC hum is there because I refused to use Dolby; I am, after
all, a purist."  - John Atkinson

"Some music publishers are intent on discovering and nurturing new,
original talent. Others seem interested in nothing more than grabbing
people by their ankles, hanging them upside down, and shaking them until
all the change falls out of their pockets." - Art Dudley

And to add to this list, I'd love to quote our very own Jaimie Vernon
when he talks about Bullseye Records, "Not Suing Our Customers Since
1985!!".

Enjoy your day!

Dave Bradley