[klaatumail] Re: Multi-track recording conversion to digital

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 18:06:56 +0000

> I've got a couple of multi-track reels (two different 8 track formats)
> that I would love to get transferred to digital. Do any of you have
> suggestions on where/how to get this down at a reasonable cost?

Hi Eric,

That would depend on what those formats are.

For different multi-track formats with 8 tracks, I can think of several.

There were 1/4" formats with 8 tracks on reel to reel (Dee experimented with an
8-track head on a 1/4" reel to reel) which would have been the size of the
tracks on an 8-track tape cartridge (home demo format mostly).

There were 1/2" formats with 8 tracks on reel to reel which would have been the
size of normal quarter track channels.

There were 1" formats with 8 tracks on reel to reel which would have been the
size of half track channels.

There were 2" formats with 8 tracks on reel to reel which would have been the
size of full track channels.

Since you specifically said "reels" I'm presuming reel to reel.  If it's not,
let me know.

In Canada, I'd recommend contacting Richard Hess about whether he can do these
formats. He's one of THE BEST in the business.

http://www.richardhess.com/tape/index.htm

His site lists what formats he can handle.

You can email him directly at richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you're in the U.S., there are other places you can go, however, I'd stake
Richard's quality against any of them and bet it will sound better if he
handles the work.

For Mexico/Europe/Asia/Australia/New Zealand/India/South America, I'm not aware
of what's out there.

Dave Bradley

P.S. Mention you heard about him from me. I'd consider him a good friend in the
business and I'm sure he'd be interested to know I've referred someone to him.