[klaatumail] Mudcow and other non-Klaatu recordings

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:54:35 -0400

> I have never heard any Mudcow recordings (Dave, have you?).

Back when I was converting Terry's tape library, shortly after doing
Dee's, there was a cassette in Terry's stuff that said Mudcow on it.  As
I recall, it was the same recording that was on a reel to reel tape that
he had which said "CAPAC tape".  Basically it was the recordings that
Terry and John were part of (not sure about Dee) that had been funded by
a grant from CAPAC.  I don't know if that's really a Mudcow recording or
not.  For that matter, I'm working on a decade old memory that the
cassette that said Mudcow was the same as the reel that said CAPAC.

I really don't think there was ever any officially released material
from Mudcow.

I also seem to think that the Whitemail songs were on that tape in some
incarnation, if not the officially released Whitemail recording.  But
again, the memory is more than a decade old and I may be mistaken.

I personally have the Tom Cochrane single (thanks to Jaimie years ago),
the Whitemail single (thanks to Ebay) and the Brandy single which
someone recently posted a link to the video on youtube (again thanks to
Ebay).

I also have the Robotman single (thanks to Liz), the Robotman LP (test
pressing in mint condition thanks to John W., commercial pressing in bad
quality thanks to Ebay), the Terry McManus singles (some thanks to Liz,
some thanks to Ebay), and the Rational Youth recordings that Dee worked
on (thanks to Jaimie, Ebay, and some shop in Niagara Falls back in the
late 90s).

I have a CD-R with the Bloodstone single (featuring Dee) but I've never
been able to obtain a copy of that single myself. I've scoured ebay and
other online auction sites, online sale sites, Toronto and Niagara Falls
record stores, and asked both Dee and Fred Coutts' widow, Charlie.  No
luck so far. I seem to recall Andrew Grantham saying that Fred had
offered to sell him a copy for $40 back in the 90s, but Charlie hasn't
been able to find any copies she can sell me. I know Andrew Grantham had
a copy in rough condition, and Dee himself has a copy in mint condition
(which is where the CD-R came from).

I also have the Nightwinds recordings on CD.

I don't have many of the Dee related projects he worked on after leaving
Klaatu. In fact, Dee says there could be hundreds of records out there,
but can't remember most of them, so the only ones listed on the site are
the ones that people have knowledge of and have sent to me to add to the
site.  Most of them I don't have copies of.

You can see listings of these items by going to Klaatu.org, clicking on
The Music on the left menu, then clicking on discography in the middle
window, then clicking on Solo Releases.

Dave