[kismac] Re: which GPS and mapping software...

  • From: Patrick Munson <pmunce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:15:38 -0800

OK, so we have some mapping software to look at, now how about a GPS system that is both Mac and KisMac friendly.

Would just any of them work or is there one someone has particular experience with.

Of course it can be either Compact Flash or PCMCIA but CF would more versatile were I to want to use it with a PDA at some point.

Thanks

On Jan 30, 2004, at 9:51 PM, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Jim Selby wrote:

I can help you with a very good and the only cheap (commercial software for
Mac OS X.

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

If it doesn't do direction finding, I'd suggest xastir as a replacement;
It will tile together USGS maps (and can read most free map formats) and
is free.

It also supports GPSd, which is why I contributed the GPSd support for
Kismac (I wanted to use both at the same time)