[kismac] Re: airport extreme lladdr (Apple80211.framework)

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:21:49 +0930

Yeah. I'd be thinking it's a debugging thing. Use SpoofMAC or if you prefer to go manually, http://www.suspekt.org/airport-static.html.

There was a method to allow the MAC to be changed from ifconfig, http://www.suspekt.org/airport-dynamic.html, but it hasn't been updated for Tiger, and is essentially useless for the reasons we want it for - it leaks the original MAC in the DHCP requests - breaking DHCP, and giving away our real MAC address.

That tool is an interesting one, it was previously run by KisMac to change the channel in passive mode, until I rewrote that part of code to use ioctls instead - much less CPU usage - (actually, it halved the total cpu of kismac!).

On 08/06/2006, at 8:38 PM, Thomas Kollbach wrote:

On 08.06.2006 at 12:58 numE wrote:

i just found this tool:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/ Resources/airport

AirPort v.423.1 (423.1.0)

The help (switch -h) shows that there is a "-m" or "--mac=" switch.

--
-m<arg> --mac=<arg>
use <arg> instead of current AirPort MAC Address

I tried it, but it had no effect.

quite weird - why should the apple dev's put this feature into their
framework, when it's
a) not intended to be possible?!
b) not working?!

Maybe it is either a debugging/developing feature that gets deactivated before shipping the framework or it is indeed referencing to the mac of the base-sation. But that is just guessing.

A tool that does change (read spoof) your airport mac address (through temporarily patching binary files...) is SpoofMAC (http:// ungeord.net/smat/en/spoofmac/).

toto
– Arthur C Clarke, in a statment often called "Clarke's Third Law"
--
Visit my weblog http://bitfever.de/weblog/