[kismac] Re: Wireless Equipment

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:32:48 +0800

PS to my last e-mail: I've managed to get passive scanning with Airport Extreme working a couple of times, but only after a clean boot with nothing else running.

First: complete safe boot (shift key from the startup chime all the way through login)
- logged in
- ran KisMAC
- passive mode worked.

Second: normal boot, login items disabled (shift key after entering password only)
- logged in
- Airport operating normally (connected to local network)
- ran KisMac
- passive mode worked
- quit KisMAC
- airport card lost by system (unable to use for networking)
- ran KisMAC again
- passive mode worked again
- quit KisMAC
- airport card restored to normal operation
- ran a couple of login items (Palm Desktop Utility, @-time)
- ran KisMAC again
- unable to load driver
- Airport card lost by system

Third: normal boot, login items disabled (as above)
- logged in
- airport operating normally
- ran KisMAC
- unable to load driver
- Airport card lost by system

... so all in all, extremely unreliable (and kills the airport until next reboot when it fails), but I think I could probably (if it was worth it to me) get it to work every time by preceding it with a safe mode reboot. It's not worth the hassle, since I actually like to use my computer for other things, so for now I'll keep using the DWL-122.

Cheers,
Robin

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx