[kismac] Guide to MAC Custmization on the Mac

  • From: kismac john <kismacjohn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi list,

I am putting a to guide to MAC spoofing for computer
retards ? like I me :). I am planning to add this in
the FAQ of KisMac WiKi under the title ?MAC Address
Customization on the Mac?.

Here is the information I compiled from the list and
KisMac website. I am hoping you will correct any
inaccuracies or mistakes before I post the guide. All
comments are highly welcomed.

ABSTRACT:
- MAC customization is not possible on airport card
(extreme or normal)
- Custom address is only supported on opensource
driver with a patch, be it the sf.net with ?my patch?
/ ?WirelessMac? or GTDriver and terminal commands,
thus only Prism 2 and 2.5 cards or PrismGT based will
allow MAC customization.
- Customization on Prism2 USB devices can only be
obtained after flashing the firmware, downloaded from
FRARS (like described in KisMac WiFi Hacks).
- GTDriver and WirelessDriver will not allow mac
spoofing in the range of Broadcom Ethernet address,
thus making it impossible to spoof other apple macs
using airport extreme.
- GTDriver and sf.net drivers are PCMCIA only- No
PrismGT card as of today offers external connectors

Stop me if I am wrong.

QUESTIONS:
- WirelessMac doesn?t work in Panther and Tiger but it
does in Jaguar,
thus rendering MAC spoofing on Prism2 based cards much
more difficult on Panther and Tiger?
- KisMac R62 or R65 no longer asks to install ?my
patch? or ?WirelessMac? on top of the sf.net driver
(it didn?t in my case at least)? So to install
WirelessMac you will need to install KisMac 0.12a or
bellow?
- Mick says: ?no kernel patch which allows you mac
spoofing with a
wireless device?. However users report on success on
?MAC Spoofing on the Mac?
http://slagheap.net/etherspoof/ under panther with
Jeff Nathan's kernel patch for 10.3, using both
Ethernet and wireless cards. Who?s right?
- Firmware flashing of Prism2 devices is NOT for
computer retards? Or am i missing something?

john

http://mail.yahoo.com