[kismac] Re: Fun with KisMAC and AirportExtreme

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 01:04:26 -0600

At 9:24 AM +0100 2004/01/01, Christoph Schneider wrote:

 Okay. I know the Broadcom - Airport Extreme - We will never give you
 a working driver for Linux - problem.  What is the status quo?

In addition to the Apple drivers that will work out-of-the-box, the IOXperts people are also working on both Broadcom and Atheros drivers. I think they're working on Atheros first (so far as I know, no drivers are currently available for MacOS X, and existing drivers are potentially portable from Linux or FreeBSD), but Broadcom is on the list.

                                                                Are
 there people outside, workin' on it? (i.e. reverse engeniering
 windows-drivers ... ) I would like to join such a project, doing
 this. (reverse engeniering)

I'm not personally aware of any reverse engineering projects underway in this field. I have heard of some such projects for Broadcom chips under Linux, and I imagine those projects will probably come to fruition first. When they do, others will be able to take advantage of that. It might be best to contact some of those people and see if they know of any other similar projects for MacOS X (or projects to take their work and re-purpose under MacOS X).

(I also would like to start such a project, if there's nothing out there)

Please let us know how this goes.

 It would be a very nice thing to have a full-feature compatibility
 between these two technologies...

The Broadcom and Atheros hardware is far more capable than any previous 802.11b stuff anyone has ever seen. Indeed, this is the cause of driver availability problems -- the FCC doesn't want people using software-defined radios (such as the Broadcom and Atheros stuff) to transmit or receive signals on anything but an extremely limited range of frequencies.

Otherwise, you could drown out radios for various emergency services, the police, the FBI, the US military, etc.... Alternatively, you might be able to use such hardware to listen in on their traffic, which I'm sure they feel is much, much worse.

So, the vendors have been keeping the tightest grip possible on the drivers, so that their customers don't go out and do something illegal, for which the companies would be held responsible.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>