[kismac] Re: 0.21a (R127) and Airport problem

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:44:40 +0930

Viha driver. It screws with the Apple driver, so you might be able to do some kext fiddling to make it behave better...
On 24/04/2006, at 7:33 AM, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:

Passive scanning on airport works fine with the viah (sp) driver, just requires a reboot afterwards. Only way to fix this is to contact Apple.

Geoff
On Apr 23, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, passive scanning does not seem to be an option for Airport cards at this time. I used to use a NetGate card with the wireless driver, but it doesn't seem to work with 10.4.x. Fortunately, Airport seems to work better than with 10.3.x so I don't need it for normal usage.

Hopefully, somebody will come up with a way to make Airport cards work correctly in passive mode. When I select passive mode, not only do I have to reboot to get Airport back, but I don't even pick up my own site in the scan!

As I understand it - and bear in mind, I'm not an expert in driver reverse-engineering - there will never be a passive mode driver for Airport. If you have only an Airport card (not an Airport Extreme), then active mode scanning will continue to be your only option. If you have an Airport Extreme card, then the best way to make it work (which seems to work in the majority of cases) is to tick the "permanently enable Airport Extreme passive mode" box, then quit KisMAC and reboot (you might also need to delete one of the system caches manually)... come by the IRC channel (#kismac on irc.freenode.net) if you want someone to help talk you through it. Most computers will not work in passive mode with Airport Extreme without that box ticked.

All of that said, if you do have an old Airport card but would like to do passive scanning, you can pick up a USB Prism2-based adapter on eBay for about $20 - a DLink DWL-122 is what I use (I bought that when there was no passive mode support for Airport Extreme, but I still use it now because it keeps a lower load on the CPU when scanning). Note that that kind of adapter is pretty useless for actually connecting to a wireless network, but is excellent for passive scanning (and supports additional attacks such as packet reinjection) with KisMAC.

Cheers,
Robin
--

Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966