[Kindersite Newsletter] Kindersite Newsletter Volunteers and News Winter 07

  • From: "Kindersite Joel" <joel_josephson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kindersitenewsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:41:37 +0200

Dear friend,

As we come to the close of 2008 I would like to wish you a happy, peaceful and healthy New Year and thank you for your growing support of the Kindersite.

As many of you know the Kindersite is being maintained voluntarily and the task has grown over the years. In addition my work with European education projects has grown significantly. I would now like to ask for volunteers to help with specific tasks (you do not need to be an educator). If you can help please contact me at the email address below, please write 'Volunteer Kindersite' in the email subject line. If you have any ideas or thoughts how else you can help, especially in the area of funding, please let me know:

Tasks:
1. Translation - web pages and materials (the language versions of the Home page are very old) 2. Updating broken links - we need volunteers to go through the content and find broken links and try to find the correct web address of the content 3. Locating new, appropriate content for the Kindersite - I am particularly interested in adding content in additional languages 4. Technology update - the Kindersite was produced on a tiny budget and it really needs a complete fix, this is a job that needs experience in database driven websites. Possibly a large school board or business, that would like it's name linked to the Kindersite, would be interested?

I am afraid I can only offer the reward of a mention of your name on the Kindersite volunteer page and the knowledge that you are helping children enjoy and learn with the Kindersite.

Now some News:

1. New European Project funded
Firstly, the Kindersite has been instrumental in creating a new European Project that has won funding and now commenced. This new project is possibly the first of its kind in the world. It is attempting to bridge the growing technology gap between the way students and teachers use technology. It is using an Alternate Reality Game to promote multilingualism in secondary school students and also to help educators use Web 2.0 to communicate with their students. The project is being led by Professor Thomas Connolly (Chair, European Games in Education Association)As the project progresses updates and links will be placed on the Kindersite.

2. Early language learning resource centre
The Kindersite is also a partner in another proposal to build a 'Early language learning resource centre'. We are looking for a very small number of partners to join this proposal, plus a large number of primary/kindergarten schools that will be interested in piloting the materials during the project (if we win). Unfortunately the European Union impose some strict provisions on who is eligible, BUT the goods news is that at the end of the project all the materials produced will be open to all globally.

Criteria for partners: Based in Europe or Turkey, Iceland, Norway. Expertise in early language learning and the pedagogic background OR capable of building professional quality Flash movies. Criteria for schools: Based in Europe or Turkey, Iceland, Norway. Primary or Kindergarten level. Capable of basic language teaching plus a willing environment to pilot content.

3.Community Gallery
I have now added a Community Gallery on the Community Map page, http://www.kindersite.org/Map.htm The first photos of Kindergarten children using the Kindersite are already displayed. Why not add photos of your children? (written permission from parents must be obtained).

4. Lullabies in 7 languages
Finally the in the coming year the 'Languages from the cradle' project will be nearing completion and Lullabies in 7 languages produced by the project will be added to the Kindersite for you to use. The project will also be adding translations and activities for early learners.

So lots going on and lots to look forward to.

Happy new year.

Joel

Joel H Josephson. Executive Director
http://www.kindersite.org
joel_josephson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Where children play and teachers learn
Stockholm Prize Finalists
European Union Projects: ARGuing, Don’t Give Up, ALL, TOOL2, Chain Stories, Languages from the Cradle, FaceIt

=========================================================== The Kindersite Project Newsletter mailing list To post to the list : kindersitenewsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Moderated) Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/kindersitenewsletter/ Administrative contact: joel_josephson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ===========================================================
To set Digest mode (only one message a day) go to
//www.freelists.org/list/kindersitenewsletter Enter your email address and
set : Turn Digest Mode On