[keiths-list] Solar power to reduce diesel in Fort Chipewyan | Alberta.ca

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 20:40:11 -0500

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=62497E5F6DCF1-FE02-DF94-DD930938BE9CB264

Feb 07, 2019

Solar power to reduce diesel in Fort Chipewyan

Alberta is supporting Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, Mikisew Cree First Nation and Métis Local 125 in owning and operating a new solar farm that will reduce their reliance on diesel generators.

Fort Chipewyan is not connected to Alberta’s electricity grid and relies on burning diesel fuel for heat and power. To reduce diesel use in the northern community, the nations formed Three Nations Energy LP (3NE). With a $3.3-million grant from Alberta’s Climate Leadership Plan and in partnership with ATCO, 3NE will own and operate the largest off-grid solar-and-storage project in Canada.

“We are very proud to partner with Three Nations Energy and the community of Fort Chipewyan. In addition to reducing costs, this project helps make life better for residents by reducing pollution and increasing safety. This is just one of the many steps on the path of reconciliation our government is taking by empowering Indigenous peoples to own, develop and operate this project.”
    Richard Feehan, Minister of Indigenous Relations

“By harnessing Alberta’s abundant solar resources, we can ensure northern communities no longer need to rely on diesel to heat and power their homes. This project is the largest in Canadian history to reduce diesel emissions by moving to solar power and storage. More importantly, it shows what can be accomplished when we work together to protect our environment.”
Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks and Minister responsible for Climate Change

The solar photovoltaic system will consist of about 7,500 panels that, once completed, will replace the equivalent of 800,000 litres of diesel fuel for Fort Chipewyan – supplying roughly 25 per cent of the community’s energy use. It is anticipated that Fort Chipewyan will start generating solar energy in fall 2020.

The project will also reduce noise pollution in the area and make the winter roads safer due to reduced tanker truck traffic.

“While our regional economy depends on the oil industry, we feel the effects of climate change in our community and see the growing impacts on our delta lands. Our members want us to be part of the solution and we appreciate Alberta working with us to take a big step forward to cut pollution and protect the environment.”
    Chief Allan Adam, Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation

“The Three Nations Energy solar farm project showcases our community’s shared vision of achieving energy sovereignty and becoming a leader in creating a climate-friendly economy. 3NE will work as one to build capacity and implement other projects in energy efficiency and green energy.”
    Calvin Waquan, councillor, Mikisew Cree First Nation

“Three Nations Energy is about Indigenous Peoples working in partnership and collaborating with governments and private industry to protect the environment. Our solar farm will create local employment, increase our energy security and, over time, it can generate revenues to reinvest in our community.”
    Kelly Piche, Fort Chipewyan Métis Local 125

ATCO is working closely with 3NE, supplying design, construction and operation services as well as ensuring local employment benefits. ATCO will also operate a complementary battery storage system that can store 1.5 MWh of power, extending the ability of the solar farm to replace diesel.

"ATCO is honoured and thrilled to partner with the community of Fort Chipewyan to implement an innovative clean energy microgrid solution. ATCO will build and operate the solar array and battery storage, significantly reducing diesel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions while creating jobs and building capacity for community ownership of the solar farm."
    Quyen Nguyen, vice-president, ATCO

Quick facts

    The project will be completed in a phased approach.
ATCO is installing a Phase 1 component of 400 kW (about 1,500 panels) this winter which ATCO will own, reducing diesel consumption by 150,000 litres per year.
3NE, supported by funding from the Government of Alberta, will own Phase 2, consisting of another 2,200 kW from 6,000 panels, which will reduce diesel consumption by an additional 650,000 litres per year.
The solar farm will have a generation capacity of 2.6 MW (2,600 kW) and an energy production of 3,200 MWh/year once Phase 2 is complete.
Construction will create 40 jobs at the 6.5-hectare site adjacent to Third Lake Plant.
The reduction in tanker trucks is roughly 25 large tanker truck trips each way, per year.
The project will cut greenhouse gas emissions by 2,170 tonnes CO2e per year.
The total project cost for the solar farm is $7.8 million, including the $3.3-million commitment from the Government of Alberta.

https://www.pembina.org/media-release/33m-grant-fort-chipewyan-will-lead-canadas-biggest-remote-solar-project

$3.3m grant for Fort Chipewyan will lead to Canada’s biggest remote solar project Pembina Institute reacts to the Government of Alberta’s investment to reduce Fort Chipewyan’s reliance on imported diesel for electric power

Feb. 7, 2019

CALGARY – DAVE LOVEKIN, Director, Renewables in Remote Communities at the Pembina Institute, made the following statement in response to the Government of Alberta’s announcement supporting Fort Chipewyan’s solar photovoltaic and battery hybrid micro-grid system:

“The Pembina Institute is extremely pleased to see the community of Fort Chipewyan make a strong entry into the renewable energy sector with a collaborative solar energy project that will reduce dependence on diesel for electricity. This is a bright day for Alberta, and specifically Fort Chipewyan. The Pembina Institute applauds the progress being made in the province, on this and other initiatives supporting a transition away from diesel reliance in remote communities.

“This project is another strong example of the tectonic shift happening in remote Indigenous communities. These clean energy opportunities not only reduce greenhouse gas emissions and negative environment impacts, but are also a source of pride for community members and a source of revenue for the community.

“When completed in 2020, the new hybrid microgrid system will be the largest solar PV system in a remote Canadian community, and the project is expected to supply a total of 25 per cent of the community’s power, and reduce total annual diesel consumption by 800,000 litres per year.

“The municipality of Fort Chipewyan is home to three Indigenous Nations that have come together to create Three Nation Energy LP, which will partner with the local power provider to develop and build the project.

“This partnership is a very positive step in creating opportunities for Indigenous communities to play a leadership role in their energy futures. Through this collaboration, all three Nations will benefit from the revenue this renewable project will produce, while also lessening the environmental impacts to land, air and water from diesel reliance.”

Quick facts

This announcement is Phase 2 of a larger solar power initiative in the community of Fort Chipewyan. Phase 1 comprised a smaller 400 kW solar PV project lead by ATCO Electric that will reduce diesel fuel consumption by 150,000 litres per year.
Through its Climate Leadership Plan and the Alberta Indigenous Climate Leadership Program, the Government of Alberta is investing $3.3 million for Phase 2, to develop a 2.2 megawatt solar PV and a 1.5 megawatt-hour battery storage system in the northeastern Alberta community.
The 2.2 MW solar PV will consist of 6,000 solar panels – in addition to the 1,500 for Phase 1 – located in the community of Fort Chipewyan, which will connect to ATCO Electric’s micro-grid.
The Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation (ACFN), Métis Local 125 (Métis), and the Mikisew Cree First Nation (MCFN) have come together to create Three Nation Energy LP, which will develop, build and co-own the new system with local power provider ATCO Electric.
There are seven isolated communities in northern Alberta; through other Government of Alberta’s initiatives, there are plans for several to be connected to the provincial grid while others are also being equipped with solar PV and battery systems.
Phase 2 of the project is expected to generate approximately 2,300 MWh of electricity per year, enough to power the equivalent of 350 homes, which equates to approximately 70 per cent of the residential building stock in the community.

-30-