[keiths-list] Letters to the editor: Dec. 21: ‘Big Oil seems to have decided Alberta’s males are disposable.’ Readers debate the source of Alberta’s economic downturn, plus other letters to the editor - The Globe and Mail

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:34:58 -0500

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/letters/article-dec-21-big-oil-seems-to-have-decided-albertas-males-are-disposable/

I believe columnist Robyn Urback sends the wrong message in characterizing Albertans as helplessly bullied by a need to address global warming. Rather, I’ve found that jobs are disappearing because oil producers have accelerated their strategy of displacing workers with technology.

Suncor’s layoffs reached 1,700 in 2015. Chief executive Steve Williams told investors the company’s search for “operational excellence for perfection” meant workers had to go. Suncor pioneered driverless trucks eliminating a further 400 jobs in 2018. Cenovus almost doubled production but laid off more than 2,500. Canadian Natural Resources redlined 400 jobs through attrition.

Big Oil seems to have decided Alberta’s males are disposable. Had Alberta protected its people – as occurred in Norway – perhaps there would be enough money to support displaced workers through the transition.

We should all pull together in the most humane way we know how if we expect to deal with the fallout from rising temperatures. Let’s not fuel the fire of divisiveness in a generation of Albertans. Continuing to pander to a sense of entitlement and seeking scapegoats will likely only keep them from growing up.

Robyn Allan Economist; Whistler, B.C.

[Perhaps we could find work for unemployed Albertans in cleaning up the messes left by the oil and gas industry.]
Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml