[keiths-list] Circular Claims Fall Flat: Comprehensive U.S. Survey of Plastics Recyclability - Greenpeace-Report-Circular-Claims-Fall-Flat.pdf

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 16:13:40 -0500

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Greenpeace-Report-Circular-Claims-Fall-Flat.pdf

[36-page report at link above

From the executive summary:
"Most types of plastic packaging are economically impossible to recycle now and will remain so in the foreseeable future. Companies must move beyond the outdated, failed approach of promoting recycling as the solution to excessive plastic waste and pollution. Furthermore, few U.S. cities have industrial composting facilities5 required to treat compostable plastics and many compost facility operators don’t want compostable plastics.6 We cannot recycle or compost our way out of the growing plastic pollution problem. Instead of pretending that the trillions of throwaway plastic items produced each year will be recycled or composted, we must stop producing so many of them in the first place. To meet their “recyclable, reusable or compostable” pledge commitments, companies must become serious about employing reusable/refillable business models."]

Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml